Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Distracted? Praise Him!

Our world is just too busy! When I was raising wee ones several years ago, the buzz word for the accomplished mom was, "busy." If you weren't busy enough, that implied laziness or a less-than life. It was a competition to prove who was doing the most or who was the weariest. It was the old, "do better, try harder" false gospel of what matters.

Busyness can be a tool to distract us from what really matters: our relationship with God. I struggle with this, and I know I am not alone. Just the other day, my pastor-husband spoke from the pulpit about worship, that we tend to categorize it as just a Sunday activitythat could not be further from its truth!

The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught." Isaiah 29:13.

Worship is a matter of the heart, not place. Although worship as a community of believers is important (scripture is clear about that; see Psalm 109:30 and 1 Corinthians 14:26), and if your heart is not directed toward your Lord, then who is your Lord?

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1.

Whoever or whatever we give our hearts and lives to, is the object of our worship. If our minds and hearts are given to our tasks, our televisions, our time, our money, rather than turning to our God, our worship is really with those things. I am not trying to "get religious" on you, I am "getting real." My life is deeper, more meaningful, when it is God-directed, instead of Kerry-directed. And when I am worshipping my God, I cannot worship myself. Praise Him!

1 comment:

Linda Maynard said...

Kerry...
Your ending says it so well...who are we looking at?....who are we looking towards and who are we listening to?
The "world " is always vying for our attention...it take a LOT of effort to stay God focused but the saving grace in all of this is that you and I at least acknowledge this and that is the firt step to any change.
Linda