Monday, May 16, 2011

Jesus Loves Me This I Know

The first rays of morning light lit the steeple of the old stone church as we stood on the hill behind it. A small group of us gathered around Reverend Gallihue that morning. The choir director handed out a few hymnals and we sang some 100-year-old dirge.

This week the Kingdom Bloggers are going to write about a favorite childhood church experience. I was actually offered a pass because the rest of the gang knows what a hellion I was before I met Jesus at age 19.

My favorite memory is of an Easter sunrise service; there was just something intriguing about it. It may have been the cool morning air, the dew on the green grass, the liquid orange clouds over the horizon or the quiet moment in prayer. There I was in my clip-on tie and red sports coat, my face adorned with horn rim glasses; the dorky kind. For a moment, it seemed to be me and God, but there wasn't enough time to get to know him that morning.

I really can’t explain what was going on - those few minutes -  but it made me want to go again for the regular 10 o’clock service. I think that my mother was confused by my request. I confess, I was confused too, however; there was something drawing me that morning as Les talked about the stone that was rolled away from the tomb.

The morning service was the same sermon— boring like all the rest. It just didn't feel the same as the one on the hill at sunrise. I thought about how I could have stayed home eating jellybeans.

As you look back, when do you first remember God drawing you closer?

6 comments:

Duke Taber said...

I remember I was somewhere around pre-school to first grade, and I would ask my mom for a quarter to put in the offering plate. I would go up the hill to the church just a couple of houses up from where we lived, and go by myself to church. I wanted to stay in the main service instead of going to children's church. That is my earliest memory, although I did not give my life to Christ until age 16.

David-FireAndGrace said...

Thanks, Duke for sharing. Wow! All by yourself, that's pretty amazing.

Joyce - Sounds of Hope said...

I think sometimes we underestimate the presence of children. Yesterday the preacher said of the High School graduates in that church, I hope we have imprinted on their lives well enough to carry them through. The emphasis was on the responsibility of the church to imprint young lives. We often dismiss the kids to children's church and forget about them. You weren't with us at the Gud's Lam Kirke in Norway, it was just Brian, Candy, me and one or two others. There, when the children left the room, all arms were extended toward the children and loud prayers went up for their blessing. It was a beautiful sight. Ready to go back to Norway? I am ...

Tracy said...

God is so good! I rejoice as I read how He was drawing you to Himself. I have no doubt that God draws children to Himself; I've seen it time and time again. I'm with Joyce in the belief that as local congregations we have a responsibility to the children in our group; to pray for them, to become engaged in their lives, to love them, believe for them when they can't, to encourage them....Adore the account about the prayers for the children as they left the building!

David-FireAndGrace said...

Thanks, Tracy and Joyce. I was a marked man!

And yes, Norway is on the list!

The Experience said...

I Heart Hymns...I actually blogged about this very topic, which is too long to post here...here's the link

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com/2010/11/i-heart-hymns.html

Hearing a good hymn takes me back to my childhood. I can remember flipping through the hymnal trying to remember as many songs as possible..LOL!