Tuesday, October 19, 2010

No More Masks

I’m stumped.  This blog on discipleship has me stumped.  Maybe it is because I don’t know as I do it very well and maybe it is because I don’t receive it very well.  I have been alone so long that I can imagine someone coming along side of me.  I think the other problem is that it is such an “old fashioned” term.  As I was thinking about it, I thought when was the last time I heard that word?  It’s been a while.

I think the new terms are spiritual direction or mentoring… both are good terms.  I am sure there must be some difference between them but I’m not even sure what the difference is between discipleship, mentoring or spiritual direction.  I really think they are all versions of the same thing.  It’s about caring about another person, investing your life in theirs, and helping them along the path.  It’s like being on the same path it’s just one has traveled it a bit longer and can show the other one the ropes.  It’s teaching them what you’ve learned and hoping they can avoid some of your pain.  It’s being transparent, love and occasionally assertive and directive.

I am old enough to be the one to be the one doing the discipleship.  I also have known the Lord all my life – I guess I’m supposed to be mature.  I get asked from time to time to mentor someone.  I take that request seriously but somehow I don’t think that I am at the best at it.  I get distracted and caught up in my own stuff.  I think that’s because no matter how old you get, you still need someone ahead of you to help you to keep going as well.


If you read the comments from yesterday’s blog by David, you’ll see we talked about being honest and being transparent.  I think that is what is important about discipleship – it’s being real.  It’s struggling through pain and joy together.  It’s the ability to not wear a mask with someone else and know they’ll love you and help you anyway.  When you find someone like that, hold on to them.  It’s the most valuable relationship you’ll ever have.  Have you ever found someone like that?  Who disciples you?

2 comments:

David said...

I am sort of in between, but the new pastor seems to take things with me very seriously. He continues to tell me that he loves me and is proud of me. He told his wife that he really likes me. Even better, he encourages me in my gifts, and best of all, he makes time for me. For this Christian, that is gold. It is a positive step to true discipleship - whatever that is.

Joyce Lighari said...

yep I'd agree, it is gold and yet you wonder why it is gold? It should be normal kingdom living - where we are open, vulnerable and self-sacrificing to each other. I guess that's why they call it the narrow road that few find huh?