Friday, June 29, 2012

Encouragment by Amanda Elder Silvers

An online search of the word "encourage" yielded these results-

en·cour·age/enˈkərij/

Verb:
  1. Give support, confidence, or hope to (someone): "encouraging results"; "I feel encouraged".
  2. Give support and advice to (someone) to do or continue something: "pupils are encouraged to be creative".
Synonyms:
embolden - hearten - support - promote - stimulate

My spiritual gift from day one has been the gift of encouragment.  For as far back as I can recall I am usually the person in my circle whom the others come to for guidance and advice.  I've always been hardwired that way.  I believe I'm a good listener and truly want to hear what is happening in the lives of others.  It's a very social responsibility, however it's not a responsibility I take lightly.  Frankly it is one which comes with a great deal of pressure.  It's necessary that we hold that mirror up to ourselves when we are offering advice and support to others. 

Scripture instructs us throughout to be encouragers.

Philippians 4:8
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things."

Proverbs 27:17
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

It is our responsibility as believers in Christ to love, encourage, listen, and to hold one another's feet to the fire when necessary.  It's not always an easy task, but it is the one to which I was called.  Life can be challenging at times and sometimes we all just need to hear a kind word from another human who can show us a glimpse into the pure love of Christ.  I try to be that person for my family, my friends, and even strangers.  If I'm being honest there are times I fail miserably, but it's comforting to know that when I, "the encourager", need support I can always to to a Holy God Who will never keep His love from me. 

My prayer for each person reading this is that God has blessed you with a person (or several people) who are encouragers to you on a daily basis.  I have my support.  They are often times what keeps me sane!  In a world which can be so cruel at times I personally find it of foremost importance to know that there are people who will listen and help steer when I feel I'm drifting off road.  I'm honored to be able to return the favor.


Have a blessed weekend!

No comments: