Thursday, September 20, 2012

I Get by with a Little Help from my Friends



“I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get high (on the Holy Spirit of course) with a little help from my friends
Mm, Gonna try with a little help from my friends.”
The Beatles

“There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one, the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.”  1 Corinthians 12:4-7

This week, on Kingdom Bloggers, we are exploring who each of us would choose for our Board of Directors.
For me, each one would have to have a specific strength and expression of their faith.

I would want a person who operates in the gift of faith. For that position I chose Joni Eareckson Tada.

Joni suffered a catastrophic injury during her teens. She dove into a body of water, hitting the bottom; she became paralyzed in an instant. Initially, right after her accident, she had a crisis of faith. She was able to reconsider after being ministered to by a friend. She then became determined to continue following the Lord. In that crucible of pain and suffering, she gained incredible strength and faith. She founded Joni and Friends, a ministry whose emphasis is to provide hope and assistance to handicapped people. For my Board, she would provide unwavering faith.
The next gifting I would look for is the gift of Wisdom. Instead of being one person, it would be a compilation of three sisters in the Lord. They are Robin, Joyce and Candy.
They each hold the office of Pastor. They each are extremely smart, yet have humility. I know if I would go to any one of them, they would speak the truth and sometimes the hard thing, rather than provide me with counsel that I wish I could get, if it is not God’s best for me.

The third person would be Heidi Baker. Heidi and Roland are missionaries in Mozambique. They are committed to the children there She loves the Lord with her whole heart and soul. She unabashedly expresses this in public and is not shy about it.  She would be an example of what passion for the Lord can accomplish. The Holy Spirit would be the “silent partner” in all proceedings.
 I would definitely angle to have someone on the Board that has a sense of humor. For that position, I have chosen my daughter Melanie. She and I can be responsible members of the family of God. Yet at the same time, we observe the absurdity of life. She would be vital in expressing lightness in situations that have become heavy and unmoving. Her relationship with me is honest and fruitful. We are not afraid to express our opinions on issues to each other, even when they are opposite. But when it comes to humor, we are often in sync.
Lastly, I would choose Jill Austin. She was a child of the Jesus Movement. She was creative and lived outside of the box. She often expressed the nature of her friendship with the Holy Spirit.  She expressed herself uniquely and even at times, in a quirky way. I feel like she jolted people into looking at the Lord in different ways.
So there you have it, my all woman Board of Directors. I didn’t preplan that either!

I see this Board with lively Board Meetings, as we together express the multifaceted nature of the Lord Jesus.

 I see in each one, a spirit of humility, along with a teachable spirit and with u together we could accomplish much for the Kingdom Of God

To me, it would be an honor to serve alongside them.

Linda Maynard