Monday, October 10, 2011

What's Your Favourite Bible Verse?


I carry my own baby dedication card in my Bible. Apparently my mother was tired of keeping it and a few years ago she said, “Here. If you want this, you keep it.” I thought she was more sentimental than that – oh well. It has the date, a written covenant prayer and a recipe card with a verse given for me. The verse, 2 Kings 5:2-3, seems like an odd choice. I’ve puzzled over it, but I’ve never really ‘owned’ it. You could say, it hasn’t become my life verse.

Recently someone asked me what was my favourite verse and I responded by saying, “That’s like asking a millionaire which dollar was their favourite.” It might seem like a challenge to pinpoint, but the Kingdom Bloggers are up for it. Last week we wrote about favourite quotes, this week we’re writing about a favourite Bible verse. Stay tuned each day and leave a comment with your favourite verse and what it means for you.

*******

Hanging above the door in the house where I grew up was a rough cut piece of wood with Joshua 24:15 shellacked onto it.

But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

It was so familiar that it became like part of the wall paper. I moved away and didn’t think about it again until I moved into a house – only about 8 years ago (we lived in townhouses or condos before that).  I asked my mom if she still had that plaque. She didn’t, evidently it had been tossed in one of their moves.  I wanted to put it over the doorway to our new home, because I knew that it was a gift from the Lord and I was dedicating the home and everyone and everything in it, to the Lord.

Similar to my favourite quote I wrote about last week (click here), this verse speaks to me about hospitality and being intentional with everything to serve the Lord. Number seven of 8 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know on my blog, I write that the amount of baking I do positively correlates to my spiritual health. When I’m baking, then I’m showing hospitality, which is my home ministry. It never stops and whoever enters my home is someone to whom I can express the love of God. I’ve tried other methods but it always takes better with cookies (or cakes & muffins).

Joshua 24:15 isn’t my lifeline verse – you know the one you turn to when you feel overwhelmed with life but it’s my life’s purpose and my destiny. My house, and all who are in it, will serve the Lord.

What’s your verse?

3 comments:

Tracy said...

It is a wonderful thing that you consciously commit your home and what you do as a family to God. Honoring Him above all else is always the way to go. Too bad I don't live close by because it sounds like so much fun to get to partake of your hospitality ministry!

David-FireAndGrace said...

We have the same one and it is visible as you walk in the door. ti seems folks even mention it. :)

Tiffany said...

My favorite verse is Psalm 73:25-26which says, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Like you said, it isnt a verse I turn to when life is overwhelmed but it reminds me of who I am living for and that with God I have nothing less than great.