Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Resurrection brings me Hope


The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of the resurrection of Jesus Christ is the word Hope. Hope that my life will be of value while here on this earth, and Hope that I have more to look forward to when my life on this earth is finished.

Because Jesus died on the cross to pay the price for my sin, and because he rose from death 3 days later, I have hope for life after this one. When my life on this earth is done, and I stand before the All Mighty, Holy, God, I can be in His presence because the blood of Christ has made me clean (Hebrews 9:11-27). Knowing that this life on earth is not all that there is gives me a sense of stability, calm in calamity, and purpose that I don't know how to put into words. This knowledge always being in the background of my mind puts things into perspective.

The resurrection changes me. Romans 8:8-20 talks about these changes in a manner that takes my breath away! Verse 10 proclaimes that:

for you who welcome him, in whom he dwells—even though you still experience all the limitations of sin—you yourself experience life on God's terms.

and verse 15 says:

This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant

While Jesus was here on this earth He said that His followers would do greater works than He did (John 14:11-13). I can't tell you what those "greater things" include; I tend to believe that it will look different for each person because God has a unique design and plan for each of us. But I do know that I don't have to live life just getting by, or seeking after material things, or living for sensual pleasures - I have a purpose that's bigger than myself. Each day as I look to Him for what He wants from me in that day, each day as I seek to remain open to His leading and guiding, to be on the look out for what God is doing around me and how I can join Him in His work, it truly is an adventure.

No comments: