Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Boar's Head - Oh Come Let Us Adore Him!

One Christmas before mom passed away, we enjoyed an amazing time together. It was one of those events that was so special, it simply had to be God.

I drove my family from Cape Cod to Ft Wayne; about 900 miles, to spend Christmas vacation with my mother and step-father. I-80 was a bit treacherous, but we arrived safely a couple of days after Christmas. My middle daughter was about a year old at the time; she's 18 now. We enjoyed the week together as a family visiting museums, walking around the neighborhood, and having meals together.

Mom, knowing how much I like music - even classical, bought tickets to a performance of Boar's Head and Yule Log Festival at her church. The festival is an interesting mix of carols, candles and the Christmas story; a choir, full orchestra and soloists with a touch of Handle's Messiah. As the years have passed, I have probably forgotten something - but I do remember the ending. It was one of the most profound experiences I have ever had with Jesus, and it came at that performance. My mother wasn't much for Evangelical Christianity, but there we were standing together singing the following hymn. I had my right hand outstretched for the chorus, tears running down my checks; singing like I had never sang in 15 years of church - and I adored Him! I grasped her hand and the presence of God came as we sang together that night.

O Come All Ye Faithful
Joyful and triumphant,
O come ye, O come ye to Bethlehem.
Come and behold Him,
Born the King of Angels;
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord.

O Sing, choirs of angels,
Sing in exultation,
Sing all that hear in heaven God's holy word.
Give to our Father glory in the Highest;
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord.

All Hail! Lord, we greet Thee,
Born this happy morning,
O Jesus! for evermore be Thy name adored.
Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing;
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord.

3 comments:

Tony C said...

Two words in that song really stand out...joyous and triumphant.

No two words better describe how Christians should feel about the arrival of Christ! He is my only true source of joy and through Him I gain the final victory.

Thanks for sharing this touching moment David. It's a real blessing.

photogr said...

What a beautiful experience David.

Joyce Lighari said...

A former pastor had a similar experience as a child. He used to tell us how when he was a child at a Lutheran school he was in the children's choir. They came into the church singing this song - the lights in the church and the presence of God filled him - it was always his favorite carol.
Many of us sing it year round in worship adding "for He alone is worthy." The song calls us to worship. He alone is worthy of our worship.