Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Two Verses

There is a lot I don't understand about God and His creation. In fact, it was this conclusion that lead me to determine that He is the one true God. By acknowledging that I was a man of limitations, selfishness, exaggerated self importance and immorality, I knew that any god that I could understand, could not be a god that I could serve. The God that was worthy of my efforts (yeah, I actually thought this way-a great example of my exaggerated self importance) had to be a Holy God.
Having been in the Faith for about 13+ years now (struggling at times, strongly committed other times and having quit a couple of times as well) I have come back to this initial conclusion many times.

He is God and I am not!

I am not shy about sharing my beliefs and I am not afraid to answer skepticism with "I don't know the answer to that." When it comes to 'defending', 'justifying' or simply 'reassuring' my Faith, I stand upon two passages:

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Hebrews 11:6

The Bible is the Word of God, it is by Faith that I seek Him and He rewards me accordingly.
Over time, as I have grown in knowledge of the Word, my beliefs have been modified. My opinions about the Church, social issues and the world have been altered as I have grown more in my knowledge of Him and His Word.

Through the years of using His Word as my reference point of my Faith, I have grown more confidant in what I believe. What wasn't of God in my life, the Word revealed, sometimes to the very beginning of my Faith. In the past, I had to let Holy Spirit tear up the foundation I had laid and start over. I had to lay aside my perceived knowledge and my pride and start over at the Chief Cornerstone. He has revealed more of Himself and His Truth as I have searched for His answers and not the convenient answers that religion and the world would offer. It is interesting (and it can be frustrating) to me how God will 'answer' my specific questions and reveal deeper Truths to me when I walk in Faith and search His Word.

1 comment:

Tony C said...

Good stuff again Dave! I'm currently in 'discussion' with an agnostic friend and the parent of daughter dating someone heading in that direction.

Your Scripture references and post bring clarity and focus to the table and remind me I can't answer all the questions they have about God. That's why He's God.