Friday, July 6, 2012

"Dive On In" by Amanda Elder Silvers

There is so much that I love about summertime.  I love having the kids home from school.  I love not having to rush around in the mornings to be out the door by 7:30 a.m.  I love spending time outside with them; but most of all, as anyone who knows us can attest, we love the water.


From the time my children were infants I've had them in water.  When I had just had baby number one and was pregnant with baby number two we lived in a house which had an above-ground pool.  I've never been a fan of those- aesthetically speaking- but that all quickly changed when I could put my precious 9-month-old baby on a raft with me and let my 6 month pregnant belly soak in that cool water.  It was heaven.  It brought such peace.

We love all things "water".  The city pool gets our business every summer now that we have moved from the house with the pool.  My daughter has even joined the swim team this year.  That 8-year-old girl practically has gills and fins.  She's always been my little fish.

pEvery year since their arrival we've taken our babies to the beach for the summer.  It's such a nice change from the pool experience we are so used to in our free time.  The beach offers something for my family which is hard to describe, but I know many people who feel the same.  Standing on the shore, toes buried in the sand, and looking out at nothing but beautiful water for as far as the eye can see is an amazingly humbling experience.  We are so small, so minute.  My mind drifts to what may lay on the other side of that vast body of water.  What lives take place far, far away? Who are those people?  What experiences have they had?  Being at the beach always makes me feel closer to God.  I am standing in the very presence of his handiwork and never cease to be awestruck.  What an amazing God we serve.  I love that He is capable of creating such beauty.  Throughout my year during times I feel stressed or overwhelmed I will often close my eyes and just imagine being on a beach listening to the quiet sounds of the waves.  I can feel His peace simply wash over me like the tide coming in and immediately I'm relaxed.  It's a powerful entity unto itself. 

  
Happy summer, everyone!  Take time to enjoy the little things.  Take time to marvel in His beauty.

No comments: