Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Boy With The Sad Eyes

New life huh?  Well, let me see.  I could tell you about the 8 lives that I brought into the world.  They aren't new any more though - some have kids of their own.  It's sort of hard to be thinking about new life when it's cold outside.  Seems like this would be a better spring topic.  Then again, it's nearly Christmas.  I could write about Jesus coming as a baby.  That was a new life that came to bring new life to us all.  Sounds like a good sermon, don't you think?

I'm not completely stumped this week.  It is just that there are so many things I could write about.  However, I want to tell you about the new life my grandson just found.  He is 17.  I love it when people tell me I don't look old enough to have a 17 year old grandson -- I'm really not you know, but I have a soon to be 20 year old granddaughter too...

On the outside, Jesse looks a little bit tough.  He's had to be.  He's had a very rough life.  I remember when Jesse was born.  When he was "new life" - as he grew, he was not only a handful since he was ADHD, he was also one of the sweetest most sensitive kids you'd ever want to meet.

He was about 4 years old when we noticed that he had a strong sensitivity to the Lord.  I can remember his mesmerizing look at the communion table.  I remember when he wanted to be baptized at 4 years old.  I don't think our pastor took it too seriously, but he agreed.  I remember him coming up out of the water with his huge grin.

Time went on.  We buried his baby sister.  His parents separated.  Eventually his father took him away and we had no idea where he lived.  I remember times of despair thinking I'd never see them again.  I remember one time I was in a large ballroom at a women's conference.  The speaker had us all stand and call out the names of our family.  I called his name and his sister's name before the Lord.  I thought how futile.  I don't know where they are - what if I never see his smile again.

Within days, through a very strange turn of events, we found out where they were.  That was about 6 years ago.  Finally, I saw him again for the first time about 5 years ago.  He seemed so sad.  His eyes showed pain. It was good to know they were alive, but sad to see him with no joy.


Last year he reunited with his mom.  He and his sister have lived with their mother now for a year.  I've had two Thanksgivings with him and we'll have our second Christmas in a few weeks.  But best of all, Jesse has new life.  A few weeks ago, this guy decided to get on a bus and find a church.  He found one.  He's given his life to Jesus.  He followed the Lord in Baptism (again) a couple of weeks ago.  He's reading his Bible.  I am amazed at how God has taken care of him.  I am amazed that the little boy with the heart for Jesus is now a young man following Jesus.

New life?  New life can come to all ages-anytime, anywhere - it's found in Jesus.

6 comments:

David-FireAndGrace said...

Amen and amen. That is what it is all about. Great news, great blog, Joyce.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!

Tracy said...

God is just so good!!!

What an awesome story. Life often seems to not go as it should, but God turns it all around and brings the good things, what really matters.

mja2j said...

Thanks for the encouragment, Joyce! We all have a family member somewhere who needs "new life"; this is a reminder that no matter what the circumstances God can reach hearts!

Lin said...

This is a sweet story that made me want to cry. I pray that all that Jesse has had stolen from him would be restored a hundred fold.
May God guard his life continually.

Joyce Lighari said...

I found out what Jesse wants for Christmas - the Bible I promised to get for him and then for anyone else wanting to give him something, he prefers you give the money you would have spent on him, to charity. Wow...