Monday, January 10, 2011

Andale! Andale! Arriba! Arriba!

O the B-I-B-L-E, yes that’s the book for me! I stand alone on the word of God.
The B-I-B-L-E
O the B-I-B-L-E, I'll take it along with me, I'll read and pray and learn God's way.
The B-I-B-L-E

Sometimes I feel like telling God to Andale! Andale! Arriba! Arriba!  It's scriptural you know?


This week your Kingdom Bloggers will be talking about their favorite book of the Bible and an opportunity to apply it to their life.

I am very partial to the Old Testament or Hebrew Bible.  I love the narratives.  I love the glimpses of God as He forms humans as potter does clay.  I love the picture that He sews clothes for Adam and Eve before they leave the garden.  Reminds me of times I’ve been so mad at my children for something and then turn around and make their favorite cookies or something.  I love the story of creation.  My husband was reading it recently and his comment was that the story of creation is “wondrous.”  It is.

My favorite book of the Bible is Genesis.  It is the book I most love to teach.  As my Hebrew and Hebrew Bible professor used to say, “if you don’t understand Genesis, you don’t understand the Bible.”  I wish you could hear him teach Genesis – you’d love it too.

But an application is harder with the Book of Genesis.  I think that would take a book rather than a blog to explain.  As I thought about this some more, I thought about the book of Psalms.  There have been several times in my life where I have been in great despair.  During many of those times I would turn to Psalms.  I love how the Psalmists start off with their lament but usually, before the Psalm is done, they are praising God again.
 
During these times, I often turned to Psalm 70.  I would read it out loud each morning and again at night.  It became my lament and prayer. 


It reads:


Hasten, O God, to save me; come quickly, LORD, to help me
May those who want to take my life be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace.
May those who say to me "Aha! Aha!" turn back because of their shame.
But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say,
"The Lord is great!"
But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer;
Lord do not delay.


I love that "Aha! Aha!" part.  I also love how The Message translates that last verse:

But I've lost it, I'm wasted!
God, quickly! quickly!
Quick to my side, quick to my rescue!
God don't lose a minute.

I have told God Andale! Andale! Arriba! Arriba!  How about you?


It's okay to do that.  The Bible even says it. What are you wishing God would hurry up and do?

6 comments:

David said...

I don't know what I need him to do now - or even quickly. It seems life is unfolding at high speed anyway. I would prefer to have it all slow down.

I have a couple of sick friends that I pray for everyday, and I just wish they were healed.

I often wish that my kids would come running back to God, but maybe they need to skin their knees in order for that to happen.

In the old days I wanted everything now, but I pretty much have what I need, and I am waiting for doors to open, but I can see that they are.

I love the Psalms - everyone should! 40 and 51 are my favorites!

Liz Kay said...

I need a job -- NOW! Due to company-wide downsizing, my job was eliminated and I've been collecting unemployment for 6 months. But those checks do NOT cover my monthly expenses -- I've been having to use a credit card just to put food on the table. ARRIBA! ARRIBA!

Liz Kay said...

Alright, enough screaming... anyway, my arm's way too short to box with God. So I will step back & quietly surrender to Him.

Joyce Lighari said...

Ahhh, Liz - it was okay to say God hurry up - andale, andale, arriba, arriba but yet, when it comes right down to it, it is about surrender which to me, means falling in His arms of safety.

Tracy said...

Know at least some of what you mean about Genesis - definitely a way cool book. I'm especially partial to the accounts of Abraham, Issac and Jaccob. But even as I write that I'm thinking about how much I adore Joseph's story too.....it's just plain an awesome book.

I've always adored the whole start with a lament and end with a praise aspect in many of the Psalms as well. It's always felt to me like God was showing me that it's fine to be honest with Him about how I really feel, then He can empower me to change as I look at Him.

Tony C said...

The Book of Genesis has had such a profound effect on my family...our youngest daughter is named Eden.

Need I say more?

I'm amazed at God's plan for man's salvation as it unfolds in Genesis.