Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Movie Guilt


Movies and I have an interesting history.  Every time I go to a movie I have this odd sense of guilty that washes over me for a second or two.  I grew up in a rather strict Pentecostal home.  My parents weren’t strict about everything, but when it came to the evils of the movies, playing cards, make-up, and dancing, they were strict.  All these thing were strictly forbidden.

When  I was seven, Disney’s Sleeping Beauty came out.  Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE of my friends (except the church ones) were going to see it!  My BFF was Catholic so movies were never an issue for her.  Her Aunt was taking her to see Sleeping Beauty and I was invited to attend.  I can remember laying in my bed with my ears perked up.  My parents were deciding whether I could go or not.

I prayed.  I prayed hard.  The logic that we had a television in our house and that I watched endless hours of movies from the 30’s and 40’s was lost on me.  I probably would have used that argument if I were older than 7.  Then I heard it.  There may be nothing wrong with the movie but they didn’t want me to think that going to the evil movie theater was right.  You can read more about my Sleeping Beauty story here.

By the time the Sound of Music came out, my father had pronounced that movies were okay.  All was fine until we moved to Missouri where the question was asked – when Jesus returns (or the “rapture happens) do you want to be found in a movie theater.  Of course not!

These experiences and more leave me with a twinge of guilt that I usually laugh off internally so I can sit back and enjoy the show.  I have a varied taste in movies, and like songs, it is always hard for me to say – this is the one – or even two – favorite.  I like so many!


But let me narrow it down to two – both oldies – both some of the first movies I was every allowed to see.  The first one is the very first movie I actually saw on the “silver screen”  The Sound of Music.  I still remember the thrill of the big screen and Maria singing The Hills Are Alive…  I was in awe and mesmerized. 

The other movie is Fiddler on the Roof.  Oh how  I love Tevye.  He is probably one of my all-time favorite characters in a movie!

In the last decade, my favorite movie(s) was the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  The most recent movie I’ve seen is The Best Marigold Hotel for the Aged and Beautiful – the language and some of the themes might not be your taste but I loved the movie!  What was the first movie you saw?

Next time you curl up with popcorn and a drink in a theater as the lights go dark think about me.  That’s the time my guilt pops up.  Then do what I do, laugh inside, and enjoy the show.  

No comments: