Thursday, December 8, 2011

JOY UNBELIEVABLE...JOY UNDENIABLE



I might mess up your Theology when you read this but I am “one of those” who received and experienced the laughter, that came along with the Toronto Blessing. It happened not once, but many times. As I write this, I wish I could have the same thing happen. But like other gifts given to me, I don’t regulate when they come, how they come and what is inside the package..

When I say that I received it…it is the truth. I felt like it was a gift, given to me by the Lord. I realize that there were those, who were in my company, who didn’t experience what I was feeling, sometimes judged me. I know there are many still that think this phenomenon was not of God. I don’t want to be rude or haughty but I say “oh well”. I tend to think many of us have had encounters with the Lord, that others would have a hard time believing.

So, you may be among the ones who look at me askance or you may be one who tells me that you wish you could laugh like that and ask questions of what it all felt like.

Like I said, I could not make it happen, by an act of my will. But I do know it was wonderful…it was healing…it was refreshing.

“A merry heart doeth good like a medicine” Proverbs 17:22 KJV

I dare say that we have all experienced belly laughter seeing a very funny movie or laughing at the irony of a joke. Isn’t it the greatest thing when we can just forget about our worries and our pain for a time? Well that is how this laughter felt to me. One thing I can say is that just about everything seemed funny.

I’ve suffered from depression, much of my life. When the laughter came, it was like a bubbling of aliveness, from deep within.,It rose up and filled my heart and my mind and my body and my soul with gladness. Gladness to be alive…gladness to just be who I am…and most of all gladness to belong to Jesus…to be loved by Him…to be accepted by my Abba (my Father God). Everything about me and around me seemed effortless. Striving was absent and in its place was a sense of everything was going to be allright.

So, it hasn’t been a sustained experience because “life happens”. Nevertheless, it was real and left an indelible mark on my soul. Surprisingly through it, I learned too, that the Lord has the best sense of humor. I didn’t always know that and sometimes I still forget that but the Word tells us that He laughs at the plans of our enemies.

“Passion laughs at the terrors of hell”…Song of Songs 8:6 The Message

So dear readers, I sincerely wish you joy. It may not come in the package that it came for me. But I ask the Lord that it would be as undeniable, as it was for me. I pray it will fill you and heal you and refresh you too. The simple fact remains, that Jesus came is enough to fill us with great joy.  It is sometimes unexplainable to others…but for us, we know it is reality. We just know.

Jesus…who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross Hebrews 12:2 b KJV

Think of it…we are that JOY!
 
 
Weekly Advent Bible Reading Plan:
Monday, December 5, 2011: John 16:16-24
Tuesday, December 6, 2011: Ezra 3:11-13
Wednesday, December 7, 2011: Psalm 126
Thursday, December 8, 2011: Hebrews 12:1-3
Friday, December 9, 2011: Philippians 4:1-9

4 comments:

Andrea York said...

Laughter comes quickly and easily for me - that's my joy and why I say I am a joy carrier.

Let's just say, no one ever asks me to be the designated driver. ;)

Joyce Lighari said...

I receive your prayer for joy - I have experienced it and it is life-changing. However, of late I realize I rarely laugh and need something or someone to let me feel like a playful, joy-filled child.

Linda Maynard said...

Joyce...what you and I need is a pajama party!!! I think it would be such great fun. ( well I can dream...can't I?)hmmmmaybe we could meet half way? where would that be?
Andrea...you are truly a blessed woman...I know you know that. To have such a natural bent toward a joyous personality is such a gift. I have always admired and yes I'll admit, sometimes been jealous of such happy people. But all and all...I think it is great. I would ride with you anytime.

Doug Spurling said...

the funny thing is, folks get drunk and laugh at everything - and they say that's just normal fun. Folks get excited and dance & shout & scream at sports events - and they say that's O.K.. Folks lay down on a couch and pay someone to shrink their head - and they say that's natural. But...laugh when filled with the Joy of The Lord, lay down to have The Great Counselor Comfort our souls - and they call that crazy? I'm thinking they just don't get the punch line. Keep smilin'