Friday, September 7, 2012

Meek is not and never was a dirty word...

How can a single word be so misunderstood?


To fully understand the true meaning of meekness, I believe we need to first understand the biblical definition of love, or more specifically agape. As most of you have probably learned in Sunday School, Bible School or in a study group, the Greek language has four separate words that all translate to the single word love in English. If I may, let me skip the language lessons on eros, philia, and storge and focus on the word that 1 John 4:8 uses to describe the very nature of God Himself...agape.

We find the word (or a form of the word) agape used many times in the New Testament. 228 times to be specific. None more prominent or well known than in John 3:16 (KJV)-

For God so loved (agapeo) the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
 
I've written on KB before that the truth found in God is love (agape) brought me to a better understanding of the Holy Trinity. Agape, by the very nature of the word, implies an action. I might say to my own children-  My love (agape) for you causes me to protect and nurture you.
 
But, fact is, I shouldn't have to say that if I'm using the word love (agape) because continuing action is implied in the application of the  word.
 
 
Okay, so what does love have to do with it Tina Turner once asked? Let me connect the dots in my thought process for you. The word meek is commonly accepted as synonymous with gentle or humble.   It is exactly what Paul is speaking to in Romans 12:3, when he warns for us not to think too highly of ourselves. There have been many times in my life I should have listen to those golden words of advise, but I digress...
 
Before we can develop the love God expects from each of us, pride and selfishness we each possess must be overcome. No way around, under, or through it.  
 
 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Philippians 2:3 (NKJV)
 
Only through a path of humility and meekness can we fully reach the potential God has in store for each of our lives....for His glory alone. By realizing our very nature to sin and how much...no, how desperate...we need God's grace, the foundation can be established for that relationship with the very essence of Love we all long for and seek. Yes, even those who profess not to believe. After all, they are created in His imagine too.
 
Pray with me for meekness daily.
 
 
The lovely Amanda will be back with you next Friday, and just so you know, I sure do miss you guys.  Tony C
 
 

No comments: